DiscNW Gender Inclusion Policy – Final Draft
Gender Maximum Rule
Mixed Ultimate Frisbee requires each team to play each point with no more than four players who identify as the same gender. The gender a player identifies with is considered that player’s gender. Players who identify as agender, gender non-conforming (GNC), genderqueer, or gender fluid are encouraged to matchup with the players they feel most comfortable marking or defending.
Exceptions to this rule include any team that receives permission from DiscNW to play in a mixed-gender league without male players when their team mission or charter is specifically focused on promotion of gender equity or inclusion.
Ultimate Frisbee is one of the few sports that is played mixed-gender from a beginner to an elite level. DiscNW emphasizes gender diversity because participation in mixed gender play can positively impact one’s views of other genders. DiscNW recognizes that gender may or may not be the same as the person’s sex, and gender does not function on a binary system. The gender maximum rule helps to ensure that every player’s participation is valued equally and that all gender identities and gender expressions are welcome and included.
- DiscNW values players as whole people with rich and diverse identities and welcomes everyone to play our sport as their true selves and fully welcomed individuals.
- Athletes should matchup with the Ultimate Rules gender category they identify with or feel most comfortable marking, and not be subject to requirements for disclosure of personal information beyond those required of cisgender athletes to play and be welcome.
- Hormone therapy, surgery, other medical intervention, or disclosure of any medical information shall not be required for athletes to participate and choose a gender matchup that is consistent with their gender identity.
- Individuals are not required to disclose their gender identity or history to participate in DiscNW leagues, tournaments, or events.
- Athletes need not defend or justify their gender expression to participate in DiscNW events.
Here is what we can do as organizers, teammates, coaches, and opponents:
- Understand that players who identify as transgender, agender, gender non-conforming (GNC), genderqueer, or gender fluid are marginalized: we will strive to make the ultimate field safe and welcoming. This is an act of Spirit of the Game.
- Trust that players will use integrity in choosing league divisions and their place in relation to the on-field gender ratio guidelines. Do not publicly announce or question a player’s gender identity.
- Trust that members in good standing of our community will not take advantage of the system.
- Actively seek ways of making our sport, teams and spaces welcoming and safe for all people.
- Provide this policy to all staff members, board of directors, event organizers, volunteers, participants, coaches and parents and provide suggestions and examples for how to create safe spaces for all.
- Change the language across all communications to represent and promote inclusivity.
- On player website profiles and/or registration forms:
- Add options for players to choose “non-binary” “gender fluid” “other” and “prefer not to say” when selecting their gender identity.
- Add the option for players to select their gender pronouns.
- Add the option to select your preferred matchup; this can be changed by the player at any time if needed.
- Add a field to indicate legal gender for purposes of disclosure to medical professionals if treatment is provided at a DiscNW event; this can be changed by the player at any time if needed.
If you have any questions or feedback, please contact:
We especially welcome feedback from those individuals this policy is intended to welcome.