Spring Reign (2018)
- Event Type
- Team Tournament
- Event Start
- Event End
- Burlington, WA
Spring Reign is one of the largest mixed-gender youth ultimate tournaments in the world, with age divisions for middle school (grades 6-8) and high school (grades 9-12) teams. The tournament hosts school-based teams hailing from Washington, British Columbia, Manitoba, Oregon, Montana, and Idaho, celebrating youth ultimate in the Northwest!
We encourage you to follow us on Twitter!
Congratulations to the 2018 spirit winners:
- MS A: Evergreen A
- MS B: JAMS A
- MS C : Aki 6th
- HS A: Queen Elizabeth
- HS B: Eastside Prep
- HS C: Edmonds Heights Falcons
We also want to congratulate the following 2018 divisional champions:
- MS A: Waldorf
- MS B: Robert Eaglestaff
- MS C: Aki 6th
- HS A: Franklin
- HS B: Sir Winston Churchill
- HS C: Kamiak
We hope to see you all in 2019!
SUNDAY BRACKETS are POSTED. All results are final at this point. We will unlock score reporting before round 1 ends tomorrow morning.
Saturday game schedules are now UPDATED (April 24th 237pm)
Saturday Mixed Exhibition Game 6pm, field 2 or 3, on Saturday!!!!
- Watch as two mixed pro teams, Seattle Cascades and Vancouver Road Rage, compete for your enjoyment in front of North Frisbee central on field 2 or 3. Check out the Facebook event for more details. This will be a 4:3 Women:Men game to encourage gender equity in Ultimate.
|January 8||Registration opens.|
|February 23||International Bid Deadline|
|March 2||International Bids Awarded|
| March 16
| March 23
||US team Payment & Bid confirmation deadline.|
| March 30
||Any spots not accepted via payment will be offered to teams on the waitlist.|
| April 13
All paperwork due, including online roster, waivers, and coaching code of conduct (CCC). Start early! Teams not submitting paperwork by this date will not be included in the tournament schedule.
|April 21||Schedules posted. DELAYED TILL MONDAY APRIL 23rd|
|April 28-29||Spring Reign tournament weekend!|
April 28-29, 2018
Skagit River Park in Burlington, WA.
| Competition Level
Middle & High School: Multiple pools to accommodate various skill levels, ranging from novice to very experienced.
| Number of Games
Middle & High School: 5-6 games.
|Middle & High School: $480. Payment can be made online or by check.|
Due to its popularity and limited field space, Spring Reign is strictly an invitational tournament. Unfortunately, we cannot accept every team that wants to attend. The goals of our registration process are transparency and fairness in determining which teams are accepted.
Please Note: You may make as many updates as you wish to your registration form up until the bid deadline.
- Please see the Important Dates table above for deadlines, the timeline for invitations, and the application/payment schedule.
- It is up to each school to make sure that a registration is completed for its team(s).
- All teams registering by the bid deadline will be initially placed on the waitlist.
- The Tournament Directors will invite teams to the tournament based on the selection criteria below.
- The Tournament Directors reserve the right to make exceptions to the process and timeline in special cases.
- Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
The Tournament Directors will consider all of the following criteria, in no particular order, when assigning bids for the tournament. Teams that meet more of these criteria will be more likely to receive a bid.
- Distance Traveled. Traveling teams who do not participate regularly in DiscNW leagues will be given priority in order to promote diversity at the tournament.
- Service to the Sport. Teams with a demonstrated history of promoting the sport of ultimate will be given priority. This is especially important for local teams that do not meet the "Distance Traveled" criterion. Local teams who provide volunteers for the tournament and/or contribute positively to the Seattle ultimate community will be given priority.
- Team Experience. Schools attending Spring Reign for the first time and teams who did not participate in last year's tournament will be given priority.
- Team Spirit. We recommend reviewing the Spring Reign Spirit of the Game customs and processes. Tournament staff considers Spirit rankings from last year's Spring Reign, DiscNW staff and volunteer observations from the last year, any recent and applicable reports from opponents, and the team's registration essay. Teams who have struggled with Spirit in the last year should describe a concrete plan for improving their team culture, including examples of improvement, if available.
- Team Maturity/Organization. This includes factors such as meeting deadlines, cooperating and communicating clearly with DiscNW staff/volunteers, and having a responsible and actively involved adult coach or chaperone.
- Opportunities to Play. Preference will be given to teams who otherwise have few opportunities to compete against appropriate opponents.
- Number of School Teams. Generally, a school's first team has a greater chance of getting a bid than another school's second (third, fourth, fifth, sixth) team. However, the criteria above are considered more strongly than this criterion.
Fees & Payment
Please accept your bid and submit payment if you are confident of your ability to field a team at the tournament. We traditionally have a waitlist of teams that wish to participate. With sufficient notice, these teams can accept a bid to the tournament. However, it is extremely difficult for the Tournament Directors to find a replacement team on short notice. In order to deter teams from dropping from the tournament after submitting payment, we have instituted the following refund deadlines:
- Teams dropping by March 30th will receive a FULL refund.
- Teams dropping by April 13th will receive a 50% refund.
- Teams dropping after April 13th will not receive any refund.
Payments must be made in US dollars.
The bid fee for both Middle and High School teams is $480. Payment can be made online or by check.
- Financial aid is available, with applications due on March 9. For this event, financial aid will be awarded when teams are notified of their bid status on March 16.
- Online payment by credit card will be permitted after teams that have been accepted to the tournament.
- Teams that wish to submit payment prior to bids being awarded may mail a check payable to DiscNW. If the team's bid is not accepted, the check will be destroyed or returned. If the team's bid is accepted, the check will be cashed when the team confirms the bid.
- Checks should be mailed to DiscNW at PO Box 85112, Seattle, WA, 98145. Label the check with your team name, age division, and "Spring Reign."
The application is quite involved, so we recommend reviewing the selection criteria, collecting information for all coaches/chaperones (e.g., name, age, and contact info), and generally knowing the composition of your team (e.g, grades, number of each gender, and experience) before registering. Don't worry; as long as you meet the registration deadline, the timing of your application will not affect your likelihood of being accepted to the tournament. In fact, a lack of thorough information on the application would be more likely to harm your chances of acceptance.